We are being told everyday by large companies that we need more and more gadgets in our kitchen to help us save time. But 90% of theses gadgets just take up space, don’t save time because they are either complicated to use or complicated to clean. I have a strong belief that if my great grand parents did not need them to produce tasty meals than why do I need them?
10 Things You Don’t Need In Your Kitchen, As They Won’t Save You Time And Take Up Much Needed Space
- Knife Block – They take up room on your kitchen unite as they are big and bulky, you can not get replacement knives to fit them so have to go and buy a whole new set and knifes can be kept in a draw still safe from little people
- Espresso Machine – This is another bulky item that takes up space in your kitchen and are not the easiest things to clean. If you are like me and like to have a fresh cup of coffee in the morning you can use a cafeteria or a Chemex. They take up less room than an espresso machine and are easier to clean.
- Toasted Cheese Sandwich or a Toasted Panini Press – Again these take up space in your kitchen cupboard and are the biggest pain in the bum to clean as they get older. All you need to do instead, is wrap your cheese sandwich in tin foil and place you tin foiled warped sandwich in to a hot dry frying pan and press down with a tea towel (to protect your fingers).
- A Citrus Reamer – Not only do you have to have good forearm muscles to use one, they also take up space in your kitchen draw. I juice lemons daily by cramming the tines of a fork into a halved piece of citrus and twist in opposite directions. Quick, easy and less effort!
- An Egg Slicer – All these do is chop your fingers into pieces and make a mess of your eggs and your unit. All you needed to have is a sharp knife and cut your egg in half lengthwise first and then rest the two flat sides on your cutting board. Proceed to slice your way through the egg.
- A spaghetti server – This utensil is supposed to help you transfer cooked pasta to a plate. The thing is this never happens, instead the pasta slips out of the tines or twirls itself around the tool in a tentacle-like lock and you’re left to pick the pasta off the server (or, worse yet, the floor). Using tongs instead makes the journey from pan to plate so much easier. Oh and you can use the tongs to turn over sausages, bacon, burgers, pork chops, steak, the list goes on.
- Popcorn Maker – It takes much needed space in your cupboard, rarely gets used and takes ages to clean. Instead pop a teaspoon of oil in your saucepan, turn on the heat and warm up the oil,pour in your popping corn, sir the popping corn with the oil so the corn is well covered, pop the lid on and watch your corn pop. Just every now and again shack your saucepan (with out taking the lid off) to stop the corn sticking to the bottom of your pan. Once the corn has stopped popping, take off the heat and sweeten with sugar or add some salt.
- A Meat Clever – As lovely as this knife looks clinging to your knife magnet, it just collects dust as I bet you don’t use it that often. Meat cleavers are used to hack through large meat bones or break down chickens which is a task you do very often unless you decide to open a butcher shop in your home.
- Garlic Peeler – I have never understood why a garlic peeler was invented, as it only takes seconds to remove the skin from garlic by lightly smash it with the flat side of a knife, or cut the root off and peel from there. After all we already have knives in our kitchen draws so we don’t need a garlic peeler taking up room in there also.
- Egg Separator – Just like the garlic peeler, I don’t understand why it was invented. Its just another thing taking up space in your kitchen draw and difficult to wash quickly. After all the egg white and yolk are very easy to separate in super clean hands and hands are easy to clean.
What kitchen gadgets have you found to be using up much wanted space in your kitchen?
Or what kitchen gadget have you come across that you made you think, why was this invented?