We all have that comfort food that makes us feel warm and safe that have as a secret indulgment. Mine is chocolate where that is spreed on toast, in a pudding or just as a bar. Until I fell upon this sweet, rich warm luxury hot chocolate recipe. This hot chocolate as become my go to drink, while wearing my pajamas wrapped in a blanket, sat in my garden studying the stars in the sky.
Dark Chocolate Maple Hot Chocolate
(Recipe originally found here)
- 8-10 ounces vanilla almond milk (you can use cow milk, soy, rice or coconut milk if you would prefer)
- 1 Tbsp dark chocolate cacao powder (milk and sweetener-free)
- 1-2 Tbsp maple syrup (depending on how sweet you like it)
- pinch of cinnamon
- 2-3 dashes of cayenne
- pinch of salt (optional)
- Heat your milk in a sauce pan until just before boiling (or you can use a microwave instead of a saucepan if you prefer) and then remove from the heat.
- Sift in your dark chocolate cacao powder while whisking your hot milk. Whisk until any clumps have melted away.
- Place back on the heat few more seconds to fully “melt” in the cocoa powder, once all the chocolate has melted remove from the heat.
- Stir in your spices and maple syrup to the chocolate milk mixture and pour your hot chocolate into your favorite mug
All that’s left to do is find a nice quiet space to enjoy your luxury, indugment hot chocolate.
What is your secret indulgment?