Every family has a family favourite cake, ours is Chocolate (do I need to say any more) and Beetroot cake. I know this sounds an odd combination but actually the sweetness of the beetroot and the bitter of the chocolate work really well. I have been meaning to share are family favorite for some time but I keep forgetting to take photos each time I make this cake and to be honest it never lasts very long to even grab a pic when I do think about it.
Anyway I hope you like our family favourite as much as we do;
Beetroot & Chocolate Cake
Recipe From The Great Big Veg Challenge By Charlotte Hume
- 250g butter at room temperature
- 325g dark muscovado sugar
- 4 eggs
- 250g plain flour (I use gluten free flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 heaped tbsp cocoa powder
- 450g raw beetroot, finely grated
- 115g grated dark chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa content or higher)
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla essence
- icing sugar, to decorate
- 9 inch deep sided cake tin, greased
- Preheat the oven 10 180 oc or gas mark 4
- In a bowl, mix together the soften butter and muscovado sugar until light and fluffy. Add the beaten eggs little by little, mixing well.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder into the cake batter and stir together well.
- Add the grated beetroot to the cake mix together with the grated chocolate. Stir well to combine and add the vanilla essence.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake tin and bake for 50 – 65 minutes, depending on your oven and the depth of your cake tin. Check whether it is ready by carefully piercing the center of the cake tin with a skewer. It should come out relatively clean. If you can see pink batter on the skewer, it need a little longer. Cover the top of the cake loosely with foil to prevent it from burning whilst the middle cooks. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve dusted with icing sugar.
What your family favourite cake recipe?
Please share with us so we can all have a taste.