I normally roast aubergines but this can get can get a bit boring after a while so i stopped buying them until I came across this great recipe the other day for Aubergine burgers. I was not sure how my kids would react to them but they were a great hit so aubergines will be back on the menu.
Recipe From The Great Big Veg Challenge By Charlotte Hume
- 1 large aubergine
- 4 tbsp teriyaki sauce (I found mine in my local health store)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 slices of mozzarella cheese
- 4 burger buns
- Cur 8 slices of aubergine from the middle of the vegetable, to get the widest circumference. The slices should be about 1 cm (1/2 inches) thick. Brush both sides with teriyaki sauce.
- Heat the griddle pan and put in one tablespoon of olive oil. Carefully place the slices of aubergine in the pan and cook on a medium heat. Aubergine absorbs oil like a sponge, so add the second tablespoon of oil when you turn over the slices to cook the other side. it should take 10 min each side. When you turn them over, brush them once more with teriyaki sauce.
- The slices should be nicely browned and when they are ready the flesh will become very sot. Turn down the heat to low. Place a slice of mozzarella on each aubergine and then add another aubergine slice on top with another slice of mozzarella. You should have 4 towers of aubergine and cheese.
- Turn off the heat. The mozzarella will melt from the heat of the aubergine. Put the tower in a bun and serve.
Whats your favourite aubergine recipe?