Last year we dipped our toe into buying nothing new for a whole month and it was a complete success. So now its time to fully throw ourselves into a new challenge at buying nothing new for a whole year. Resulting in us spending a whole year relying on our skills to provided for ourselves and making do with what we already have. This will not only test us will but also make us more sustainable and reduce our impact on landfill at the same time.
I am 100% sure this is going to be the toughest and scariest challenge we have undertake yet but on the other side of the coin I am really excited about taking this challenge.
- Buy It Used – We can buy things that we desperately need for example; clothes, gifts and anything that breaks that we cannot live without, but only from charity shops and car boot sales, ebay and other used selling sites. (The only clothing we are allowed to buy new are shoes and under wear for the children)
- Bring Your Own – We need to carry with us our own reusable cups, knife and forks and anything else we may need when we go out as a family or individually to prevent us from using any single use items places my offer us.
- Get Stuff Fixed – We have to try and fix anything that breaks or goes wrong before we can replace it second hand. So if the washing machine breaks our first port of call is taking it apart, working out what’s wrong and sourcing parts to fix it before hitting the the buy and sell pages trying to find another one.
- Buying Experiences – We can buy tickets to visit local places, museums, art galleries, cinema, holidays and so on which help us enrich our lives and create memories as a family.
- Buy Local– We can support our local craft people buying gifts for people, farmers markets and local specialist companies (who make things in Cornwall) because in doing so we are supporting our neighbors economy.
In a nutshell we can buy thing within reason as long as its not I WANT THAT and rather I need that.
Each month I will be posting how we are getting on, the highs, the lows and the stumbling blocks.
Please note our 17 year old has decided to opt out of this challenge
Here’s to a buy nothing new 2015
What’s your challange for 2015?