I love the smell of lavender and I often use a few drops of lavender oil in my bath after a stressful day or on my pillow before I go to bed to help me relax and go to sleep. But pure lavender oil is expensive for very little oil so I thought there must be away I can make my own and at half the cost.
After lots of research I found out that all you need to make your own lavender essential oil is lavender (fresh or dried) and vodka.
- Lavender buds (fresh or dry)
- Vodka (a cheap store brand does the job)
- Mortar and pestle but if you don’t have one a bowl and spoon will do the job
- Coffee filters or muslin cloth
- Two jars with tight fitting lids
- Reusable brown bottle
- Place your fresh or dried lavender buds into your mortar and pestle or bowl and spoon. (You can leave them on the stems as they hold oil to) Then crush your buds with your pestle to help start the oil release from your lavender. (But don’t over crush them until they are mushy because if they do end up mushy your homemade oil won’t work.)
- Then place your crushed lavender buds into a jar and pour over the top the vodka until your jar is full. Place the lid on your jar and make sure it is done up very tight.
- Shake the jar to release the oil at least once a day for over a week. (The longer you let the lavender buds to steep the more lavender oil you will extract)
- Once you feel your lavender buds have been steeping enough, use a coffee filter or muslin cloth to strain the liquid from the lavender buds and into the second jar.
- Then place a clean coffee filter or muslin cloth on top of the jar of lavender flavoured vodka. Let your jar sit on the side/shelf undisturbed for a week. (This is to allow the alcohol to evaporate from the jar and make lavender essential oil)
- Once the vodka has evaporated pour your lavender essential oil into a reusable brown bottle.
Do you use lavender essential oil to help you relax ?