- Parabens – are a mixture of preservatives that help keep bacteria from growing in mainstream mascara. The hygienic preservatives in mascara have been linked to mimic or disrupt estrogen in the body according to The Breast Cancer Fund.
- Aluminum Powder – This metallic substance is used as a cosmetic colorant. Aluminum powder is thought to be far worse than mercury because it has been linked to interfere with a variety of cellular and metabolic processes in the nervous system and other tissues. According to a study carried out by journal of Pediatric.
- Propylene Glycol – Can cause severe skin irritation which can show up as a red, inflamed rash that is accompanied by itching and minor pain. You can find more information the the effects of Propylene Glycol here.
These are just to name a few of the chemicals that are added to name brand mascara you can find on the high street. Unfortunately the list goes on and on that we could be here all day reading through them all.
This party season I am ditching my chemical full mascara and instead I am going to wearing an all natural unharming mascara to my eyes. (As my eyes are very important to me I want to protect them as much as possible.)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tsp beeswax
- 1 tsp shea butter
- 4 tsp of aloe vera gel
- 1-2 capsules of activated charcoal (find this at any good health food store)
- Place the coconut oil, beeswax shea and aloe vera in a small pot and warm over a very low heat until completely melted.
- Remove from heat and add the charcoal, you need to sir the mixture really well so its completely mixed together.
- Take off the heat and leave to cool.
- When your homemade mascara is completely cool pour it into a mascara tube using a funnel. (You can use a clean sterile old mascara container)
Happy Mascara Making