Over the last 4 weeks our home seems to have been full of every cold or stomach bug you can think off and our immune system has taken a massive hit. There are lots of over the counter pills and syrup you can buy to boost your immune system and help you fight of the latest cold. But there are other things we can turn to first before heading of to the chemist for the last potion.
We should be filling our body with the earths natural resources which have properties to prevent and help us during the cold / flu season. These are Lemons, Ginger, Cinnamon, cayenne and raw honey.
Lemons – helps your immune system fight against problems related to throat infections, due to its well-known antibacterial properties. Lemons are also full of vitamin C and vitamin B which is is vital for a strong immune system.
Ginger – can promote a healthy sweating that aids in the detoxification of the body, which is often helpful when suffering from a cold or flu. Ginger is also helpful for settling upset stomachs as well as dizziness, nausea, vomiting and cold sweating, which can accompany digestive problems.
Cinnamon – is a powerful anti-bacterial which is why its the best remedy for a horrible stomach bugs and cold / flu symptoms. Cinnamon not only helps to relieve the congestion commonly experienced with a cold, it is also great for a sore throat when combined with ginger.
Cayenne – aids in breaking up and moving congested mucus and has anti – irritant properties which ease sore throats and irritating coughs.
Raw Honey – has anti-viral, antibacterial, and antifungal properties which strengthens the immune system, eliminates allergies. Raw honey’s antibiotic properties are effective in treating colds and sore throats. Raw honey coats the throat and reduces irritation.
Homemade Lemon & Ginger Tea With A Twist
- 1 inch of Ginger
- I Lemon
- Boiling Water
- Cayenne pepper
- Grate your ginger into bowl.
- Pour 4 cups of boiling water over the top and leave it to steep for 30 min.
- Strain your ginger and water mix through a muslin into a jug. (This can then be stored in the fridge for up to 10 hours before you can no longer use it)
- When ready to drink some lemon and ginger tea pour some ginger water into your cup and heat for approximately 1-2 minutes in the microwave. (You can drink this tea hot or cold depending on your preference) The squeeze quarter of a lemon into your cup, add a small pinch of cayenne pepper and cinnamon, then stir.
- You may want to play around with the amount of lemon, cayenne pepper and cinnamon you add to your own taste. To make the tea sweeter you can add a dash of raw honey to your tea.
I wish I had known about this delicious cup of tea right at the beginning of our stint at being a house full of cold and flu bugs. But since we have been drinking this regularly throughout the day we have all noticed a massive difference to how we feel and on the plus side our immune system is being given a boost to help us fight any other bugs that may going around.
How do you naturally fight the cold / flu bugs that are going around for the moment?