Some days my diary is full that I either don’t have time to stop and have breakfast or lunch but get so hungry that I start to feel sick so end up pulling into a petrol station and buying a packet of crisps or a chocolate bar to keep me going. But this is not good for my self health or weight wise, so I thought there must be a easy way I can make some sort of healthy energy bar which I can just grab on my way out the door and eat on the run. After searching the internet for a nice recipe I finally came across this recipe in the Real Food and Health online magazine.
- 5 cups rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups honey
- 2 cups peanut butter
- 1/4 cup vanilla
- 3 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups dried cranberries
- 1 cup oat bran
- 1/2 cup flax seed
- 1/2 cup millet
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 sunflower seeds
- preheat oven to 180 and grease a backing tray with half inch sides (ideally)
- in a large bowl (or mixer if you have one) combine all your ingredients and stir until all your ingredients are well mixed and covered in honey. (as I don’t have a mixer this gave my arms a fantastic workout)
- pour the mixture out evenly on too your baking tray, press the mixture firmly down with the back of a fork.
- place in the oven and bake for 12 – 18 minutes until golden brown. Once golden brown remove from the oven and place your baking tray on a cooling rack. (do not try to remove the cranberry energy bars from the baking tray because they will crumble at this stage.)
- let the bars cool completely (I make mine in the evening so I leave them cool overnight) before cutting into individual bars.
- store in an airtight container and enjoy.
What’s your favorite snack to grab if you have missed breakfast or lunch?