On our journey to become more sustainable I think it is time to look at what we buy. I am not talking about food but all those other things we buy and clog up our lives. I am challenging myself this month to buy nothing but the essentials, although if I can make something at home myself I won’t buy this either. I believe this is going to be a tough month but I know I can do it.
I have picked June to carry out this challenge for several reasons :-
- There are 4 Birthdays and 1 Wedding Anniversary in June
- As a family we are going on holiday
- I am hoping (hoping being the word) to move house at the end of June
- The family budget needs to shrink in order to save money for the possible move
- June is my favourite month of the year as it’s the halfway point from the beginning of the year and end.
- I made the decision to look at our lifestyle and live an environmentally friendly lifestyle last June, the birth of Mommy Emu.
This month I think is going to be hardest for my 16 year old son and me as we spend the most money in the household. Both my son and I are into our electronic gadgets and have mobiles, ipads, etc .. that we try to keep up to date with and do everything but clean our house and wash the dishes with them. Also Paul is into BMX Stunt Riding which means he goes through so many tires I have lost count and we always need a massive supply of inner tubes in the house as backups. Not to mention that he is 16 and likes to be dressed in the latest fashion not that our monthly budget ever stretches that far.
- The only things we can buy is food for meals and does NOT include our monthly take out as a treat, so no more monthly take out in June.
- We can buy things that we desperately need for example; clothes, gifts and anything that breaks that we cannot live without, but only from charity shops and car boot sales, nothing online on ebay etc..
- Put my creative hat on to make new things we need from the things we have in the house we don’t need anymore. For example create clothes for our holiday from clothes we don’t wear anymore and create personalised gifts for the birthdays and the anniversary we have in the family this month.
AS LONG AS WE DON’T BUY ANYTHING NEW OR ANYTHING WE DON’T NEED TO SURVIVE WE ARE WORKING WITHIN THE CHALLENGE
I will be blogging each week on a Friday to see how we are getting on and if there are any difficulties that come our way.
Have you stopped buying anything new? Do you have any tips for me?
Have you considered not buying anything new for a month and would you join my family in this challenge with us?