A few months ago I wrote about how I came to find soap nuts and how I use them to wash all our laundry. Still all these months on I still use them to wash all our laundry and are extremely happy with them. But its got me thinking over the past few weeks can these little berries (as soap nuts are not actually a nut they are a berry) be used to clean other things in our home as well he laundry?
These little berries are AMAZING
You Can Use Them Almost Anywhere In Your Home
So I started experimenting with my soap nuts and here are a few of my favourite recipes I use throughout our home as well as washing our clothes with them.
First of all before you can use the soap nuts there are several different forms you can use the soap nut in.
- The whole shell
- Soap Nut Liquid (You can find the recipe here)
- Soap Nut Paste (Recipe below)
- Soap Nut Powder (Recipe below)
Soap Nut Paste
- Boil The soap nuts in a little water and then place them into a food processor until they form a paste.
Soap Nut Powder
- Grind the shells very finely using a coffee or spice grinder. (I grate mine using an old cheese grater and then finish grinding them in pestal a moltor)
- 1/8 cup Baking Soda
- 1/8 Cup Borax
- 1/2 Cup Soap Nut Liquid
- 10 Drops of Lemon essential oil
- Combine all the ingredients into a bowl and stir until the mixture becomes a paste.
- Spoon some of the paste on to your cleaning cloth and you are ready to clean your sink, bath, shower and shelfs.
- Place your leftover paste down the toilet with the juice of one lemon. Scrum the toilet like you would normally do and flush.
- 1 Tbsp Soap Nut Liquid
- 2 Tbsp White Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup Water
- Combine all the ingredients into a spray bottle and shake well.
- Spray onto your windows and mirrors just like you would use a shop bought glass cleaner.
- 1 Cup Soap Nut Liquid
- 2 Cups Brown Sugar
- Combine all the ingredients and mix until they become a thick paste.
- Apply to your face with a soft cotton face cloth, then rinse with warm water.
(You will find your face feels fresher after using this scrub)
Please note you have to make this shaving cream right before you are going to use it otherwise the mixture will not stay foamy and will separate.
- 1 cup Soap Nut Paste
- 1 Tbsp Coconut oil
- Add the all the soap nut paste to your food processor and slowly drizzle your coconut oil into the paste while your food mixer is on. (Please be careful it does not take long for the paste to foam and it foams a lot!)
What favorite ways do you use your soap nuts?