During these dark damp evenings there is nothing better than hot cup of tea, slice of cake and a good book. While you are curled up under a blanket on the sofa.
Here is a lovely recipe which only takes around 40 minutes to make so you can enjoy hot with melted butter if you would like all snuggled up.
Basic Sweet Bread By All Recipes
- 1 Cup of Milk
- 1/3 Cup of white sugar
- 1/3 Cup of butter
- 1 Tablespoon active dry yeast
- 4 Cups of all purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the milk, sugar and butter. Heat until slightly warm to the touch then remove from heat and stir in the yeast. Let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour and salt. Mix in the eggs, oil and the yeast mixture. Mix until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and continue to knead until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Grease a large bowl with 1 tablespoon of oil. Place the dough into the bowl and turn once to coat. Cover and let stand in a warm place until double in size, about 1 hour.
- Use remaining oil to grease a cookie sheet or 9×13 inch pan. For plain rolls, punch down dough and divide into 12 equal pieces. Roll the pieces into balls and place them into the greased pan side by side. Let dough rise for 20 to 25 minutes, or until almost double. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until rolls are golden brown.
Homemade Chocolate Chip Sweet Bread
- 2 Cups of milk chocolate drops
- Follow the instructions above in till step 3.
- Once the dough is doubled in size punch back and then place on to some greaseproof paper. Push the dough out until it looks like a large pizza base.
- Sprinkle the chocolate drops over the dough evenly and then roll the dough up folding over the sides as you go.
- Use the remaining oil to grease you bread tin and place your dough into the tin.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) your bread is golden brown.
This is how my chocolate chip sweet bread looked like when sliced.
My children loved this in their pack lunch with a small spread of butter and I have enjoyed this bread lightly toasted with a small spread of butter.
Do you make homemade sweet bread and what great recipes do you use for you basic mixture?
What other ingredient would you add instead of chocolate, may be a fresh or dried fruit?